Friday, November 19, 2010

Bargain Buy #3: A hefty new skillet
















I was a tad worried that maybe I'd over estimated the nice weight of this skillet when I first picked it up at the local thrift store but decided I'd better hang on to it since large pans go quickly. It was still in my cart when I reached the check-out so I paid the $3 purchase price, figuring I could just donate it to the thrift store if it didn't meet our needs.

By the time I brought it home I'd resolved that it was a good buy since our lone large skillet has lost much of its Teflon coating over its many years of usage and we really did need new pan. After doing a bit of research on the internet, I'd not only confirmed it was a good buy, but that it's one of the best made skillets on the market for the price (usually in the $30 range).

This particular Tramontina skillet was made in Brazil. The pans feature triple-layer construction and were rated very high in a Cooks Illustrated magazine review, coming in just under All-Clad at a fraction of the price. We've already used our "new" used saute pan to fry up chicken, hamburger and fish and we've been pleased with all the results.

(Disclaimer: We have no connection with Tramontina or Cooks Illustrated or All-Clad. We just like finding things that can be reused and recycled for bargain prices and enjoy sharing a few of these finds with others.)

1 comment:

Catherine said...

That's a great buy. I never thought to look at the thrift store for pans, but now I will. fair play!