Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Randomness #303: Georgia O'Keeffe bringing Sunday light

 I've checked out this book before now.  Georgia O'Keeffe: An American Perspective by Lauris Morgan-Griffiths, published in 2009 by Quercus in the UK.  I love the quote on the back: "I found that I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say in any other way-things that I had no words for." Georgia O'Keeffe, 1923

For this post I picked Pedernal from 1941-1942 that is on display at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/
I also like the explanation with this picture: "This flat-topped mountain, O'Keeffe's view from her Ghost Ranch house, was her favourite mountain and where her ashes were scattered.  It was a view she never tired of painting.  She portrayed it many times in different colours, different seasons, each time overlaying her mood and imbuing the view with a distinct atmosphere - as if by doing so she could tryly embody it.  'It's my private mountain.  It belongs to me.  God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it.'"

No comments: