Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sunday Randomness #202 : Have you voted in the primary yet?

For my fellow voters in Utah: please get your primary vote in by June 25th if you have a ballot.  Here's a parody video to help educate the newer generations about suffrage, votes, and voting for women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6qKVBciAw


For more about Rep. Burns:  http://www.teachtnhistory.org/File/Harry_T._Burn_Top_10.pdf
(It really is worth the read-especially the two telegrams at the end.)  I also like his quote of freeing women from political slavery.

"I desire to resent in the name of honesty and justice the veiled intimidation and accusation regarding my vote on the Suffrage Amendment as indicated in certain statements, and it is my sincere belief that those responsible for their existence know that there is not a scintilla of truth in them. I want to state that I changed my vote in favor of ratification first because I believe in full suffrage as a right; second, I believe we had a moral and legal right to ratify; third, I knew that a mother’s advice is always safest for a boy to follow and my mother wanted me to vote for ratification; fourth, I appreciated the fact that an opportunity such as seldom comes to a mortal man to free seventeen million women from political slavery was mine; fifth, I desired that my party in both State and nation might say that it was a republican from the East mountains of Tennessee, the purest Anglo-Saxon section in the world, who made national woman suffrage possible at this date, not for personal glory but for the glory of his party."  Representative Harry T. Burns

No comments: