Saturday, February 12, 2022

Author #187: Elizabeth Acevedo cooks up a beautiful tale of finding your strength


 An engagingly written book that brought back some memories of my own days in high school.  The main character, Emoni, loves to cook-it's were she comes alive. Emoni lives with her grandmother (abuela) and her young daughter-she makes hard decisions every day-but she knows she wants to follow her passion and cook while still being there for her daughter.  One of the sections that stood out for me was when she was describing making a crucial decision: "And the only question I kept asking myself was, 'Can I do this?'  And I realized there wasn't going to be a perfect answer, only the right answer for me."   Emoni learns to trust herself and to trust others as she goes through a culinary course newly offered at her school. Her experiences increase her confidence and she ultimately has to decide which future path she wants to take.  Learn more about Elizabeth Acevedo at: http://www.acevedowrites.com/about

No comments: