Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Strawberry Boxes

The incentive for this project was free wood, screws and nails. It starts with my dad building various garden boxes through-out my growing up years. Recently he saved the redwood planking from a deck he took down and kindly sawed the pieces into approximately 3' x 4 ' lengths for me. I helped by carrying the cut pieces to lean against the outside wall-yeah, I know, really a tough job-especially since I didn't have gloves. :)
Here's the beginning of building a strawberry box on the top picture. We alternated the ends of the old redwood boards. So on the picture, the bottom board (just above the date stamp) is aligned with the outside of the board on the right (just above the date stamp and the bottom board) and then alternately it is aligned with the inside of the board on the left. Just alternate the ends so one end is on the inside and the other end on the outside. Next picture is the drilling.
Then Dave drilled three holes (after marking with chalk) into what would be the outside of each board end. Next picture is the fastening.
Then we recycled old 2 1/2" to 3 " screws to fasten the boards together. (Total of 12 screws per simple box.) Next picture is the finished product.
And here we have the finished box. Next post I'll show how we put two boxes together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to reap the reward of are hard work, lots of strawberries.
Lots of Love,
Dave